Thursday, December 12, 2013

Having Chickens Has Made Me a Better Parent

           Some of you reading the title of this post might be thinking, "Yeah, right!?". However,  I had this epiphany earlier this week, and I just had to share it in case you are on the fence about getting chickens? Watch my strong logic on this one (I've been taking notes from the "Mind Bender" books that Mary has been reading).
           Earlier this week, Carrie knocked over a just-opened box of Raisin Bran onto the floor. I felt the heat a-risin' in my blood, and I heard my voice crescendo into a "Caaaaa-rie...". Then, the thought smacked me in the face, "the chickens are going to love all this fiber". I stopped mid-rant and realized that I no longer had to lecture or feel guilty over wasted food. Now that we have chickens, all our food scraps are recycled into delicious eggs. (Harley, our dog, would love to help, but his tummy is a bit dicey.) The chicken's scavenging ways stopped me dead in my yelling tracks.
         Not only have the chickens helped me yell less, they have also been invaluable teaching tools. They've helped answer many questions like, "Where do eggs come from?", "How do chickens bathe?", or "Who will rule the barnyard: a 90lb. dog, four cunning cats, five pecking hens, or two mallard ducks?"  My personal favorite question they have answered is "What will teach our children a strong work ethic?" The chickens have shown my girls the need for persistent care. It may be single digits outside,  but they need fresh water maintaned, eggs gathered,  and fresh bedding laid down. The hens don't sleep in or forget what their job is (although I do give the girls one morning off-everyone deserves a Sabbath).  The hens are teaching them endurance (with a few choice words from me about getting to work). Another parenting goal is closer to completion.
            My final point regarding my parental improvement is the nutritional value of our eggs. One article from the Harvard Medical School (seems like a repudible source) states, " Eggs are a good source of nutrients. One egg contains 6 grams of protein and some healthful unsaturated fats. Eggs are also a good source of choline, which has been linked with preserving memory, and lutein and zeaxanthin, which may protect against vision loss." Look at me protecting my children's memory and vision. (Of course, this could backfire someday if they remember all my scolding when they are making decisions on my nursing home residence. Also, this might be an issue if their vision is so good that they see my giant dust bunnies and turn me into the health department.) Look at the other info listed about choline (from the "Incredible Egg" website): Egg yolks are an excellent source of choline, an essential nutrient that contributes to fetal brain development and helps prevent birth defects. Two eggs provide about 250 milligrams of choline, or roughly half of the recommended daily intake for pregnant and breastfeeding women. Who wouldn't want eggs (unless, of course, you are allergic to them)?

I rest my case. Charles and Half-pint may have given us chickens, but they have been the gift that keeps on giving. Maybe they'd make a lovely Christmas present for the person who has everything...
        

No comments:

Post a Comment