Thursday, January 15, 2015

Interrupting Pirates

           I have five children, and they constantly hound me. As I just laid our toddler down for his nap, Carrie and Gracie popped their heads in to say something that they just had to ask (they seem like they can never plan ahead). They wait till five minutes after my announcement that "I am putting your brother down" for his nap to request some dire necessity like, "Can I have a piece of candy?" or "Can I watch a movie?" They don't really say it outloud because they know I will freak out majorly. They mouth the words very quietly.  Twelve years of this parenting job has given me quite an ability to lip-read.  The problem is that they've only been reading lips for a few years, and they can't seem to understand it when I quietly mouth "no". Why is that? Today, I just gave them my "IS this an EMERGENCY" look. They looked rather crestfallen,  but they slithered away quietly without feigning ignorance at what I was trying to say.
                   This new year is a new start for a new theme: patience. Half-pint's favorite joke in kindergarten was:
"Knock, knock!"
"Who's there? "
"Interrupting pirate"
Interrupting pirate who?" to which the other person interrupted with a big "Arrrrgh!"
I've realized the interruptions of our kids is partly a matter of impatience on their part. It's a feeling that what they have to say is more important than what anyone else has to say at the moment. Where do they get it from: their first-rate interrupting mom. I realized this even more after I majorly interrupted Charles last night, and he brought it to my attention. I always think of it as being really excited,  too excited to wait to speak; but really it boils down to rudely placing more importance on what I have to say than hearing what someone else has to say. I want to speak less this year, and listen more. I want to be understood,  but I really,  really need to work at understanding more.
           James 1:19 says, " Understand [this], my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear [a ready listener], slow to speak, slow to take offense and to get angry. (The Amplified Version) I need to apply this to my own life this year (along with James 1:2-4).
          Charles and I are also starting something else new this year. We are opening our home and hosting a small group for our church. I've dreamed of having a Bible study here since we moved here, but I envisioned it being a group of women and a Beth Moore group on our porch.  Instead, it'll be with my hubby, inside our cozy home. The series is about setting goals (that only God can accomplish in you) called "Transform". I'm excited to see what God will change in me. Please pray that I will truly listen to others sharing and not play the role of the interrupting pirate. Who would want to be in that...Arrrrgh!

Do you want to hear more inspiration?  Here's a link for other mom's sharing their thoughts on fresh starts on the Hearts at Home blog hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment