Friday, March 29, 2013

Back In The Saddle

       Two weeks ago, I started running again. When my youngest saw me, I had expected her to cry and whine about how hungry she was. Instead, her face broke out into a huge smile. It was as if that piece of normalcy reassured her that life would indeed go on just like it did before we had a baby. Our baby wouldn't always be in my arms, trumping her needs. Mommy was still the same mommy despite the bloodshot eyes and slightly shorter fuse.
            I'd be lying if I said that transitioning from four kids to five is easy. Adding a new child is always challenging, and it takes a while to find your new rhythm. Eventually, some of the familiarity returns. Thursday night was the first night in more than two weeks that I've been in bed before 10:00pm. I feel rested this morning for the first time in a long time. Perhaps the bags under my eyes will be going away soon? Other things never go back to "normal"...there are no longer any extra seats in our vehicles when we all ride as one family. Yikes!
          We have celebrated two birthdays this week, back to back  (Tuesday and Wednesday). I now have a three year old and a five year old. Our five year enjoyed a large birthday party complete with aunts and uncles, grandparents, and twenty plus friends last Saturday. It went well considering the circumstances, although present time was a little crazy. Several presents were opened before the cards, and a couple times I had to ask the gift giver to identify themselves. I confess that I found a couple of cards yesterday when I was vacuuming. Oops!
         The one present I had managed to purchase for our five year old to unwrap at her party was wrapped in tissue paper because I had zero birthday wrapping paper (and I didn't have a gift bag large enough for a scooter). I almost copied my ingenious friend who uses newspaper as wrapping paper, but unfortunately the newspaper was downstairs. I was was holed up in my closet upstairs with guests actually arriving on-time while I was still wrapping...so I used tissue paper. Our five year old was thrilled with the scooter.  She didn't care about the lack of real wrapping paper. Then, I felt badly when I realized Monday night that each of the girls only had one present to unwrap for their birthday (they only had that one because my hubby had gone shopping). The lack of presents was easily remedied though by a trip to Target on our five year old's birthday where she picked out the present she really wanted...a bubble machine. Our three year old was equally thrilled to pick out a couple of presents a day early, helping her accept all the attention her sister was getting. I was concerned their birthday wouldn't feel special to them, but they seemed to enjoy this unexpected twist on our normal celebration.
          Thursday, the doctor's office felt crowded with five children in a tiny room...and following the appointment, we had three different prescriptions to pick up for three different conditions--diaper rash, pink eye, and strep throat. I just kept thinking over and over how glad I was that the two highly contagious ones hadn't made their rounds through all five children. We had to make several trips around Walgreens, going through the McDonald's drive-thru and getting gas, in order to keep the baby asleep and still allow them enough time to fill all the prescriptions.
        Also instead of bemoaning the fact that I was late to our appointment, I celebrated that I was ONLY seven minutes late. I know exactly how much effort it took to get everyone fed, dressed, and out the door at 9am with a newborn. If I'm under ten minutes late, I will take it as a little victory. If I am actually on time somewhere, I will expect to see pigs flying by my car.
       Some things have changed, but some things remain the same. It's been 24 hours since we started the antibiotics, so please pass me the "Basic G". It's time to shoot some germs. Mama's back in the saddle again...although I may fall out from time to time.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment