Monday, April 22, 2013

The Death of a Stupid Phone

          My smart phone died on Friday. I was without internet access and my contact list from roughly noon on Friday till Sunday noon. We have a cell phone we use as a home line, but I don't have any of my new contacts from the past six months in there. Only a couple of people are even aware of it, so I had a nice break from the slavery a portable device can bring.
            I was land-locked from Thursday at noon till Saturday morning. The playgroup I was supposed to attend was impossible, and I was unable to host a playgroup that I had postponed for two weeks because of our bout with strep. I also couldn't attend a mom's group I usually go to on Thursday night.
          Sometimes it takes a lot to get my attention. As I blogged the first time this morning, I nearly threw my brand new phone across the room out of frustration at losing my nearly finished post somehow. I instead put my phone down, and reflected on what I should really be writing about. My original post was all about selecting my new phone. It was a little humorous, but what did it really matter anyway. 
         When I looked at the latter part of this week, I realized it had a reoccurring theme.The flood gave me a break from outside commitments. The death of my phone freed me from phone calls that I didn't initiate, texting, and the internet. I spent alot more time listening to my family. I had more time to be involved in their lives. I was a lot less aware of time. I was more present. My mom and dad were raised as Amish, and honestly some of the simplicity of that life appeals to me. When I visit cousins, I feel the same blissful break I did this past week. I am glad for the time off I had this week. However, I am glad to have access again. While I was off, a dear friend of mine lost her father and posted it on Facebook. Another friend gave me tips on my meal rut. Yet another shared a story relating their life to mine. There is a sense of community that I can have with others despite a screaming three year old, and that often preserves my sanity in this stage of my life.
         My three year old said her older sister told her that God brought the flooding to our property.  She thought it was a mean thing to do.  I told her that God is good all the time even if we can't see how. Satan wants to discourage us, but God wants to bring good even from our challenges. The flooding brought me a pause to relax and enjoy my family. I also had a chance to watch my oldest daughter show leadership as she removed tractors from our flooding barn that I had decided I wouldn't be able to move because I hadn't counted on her help. There is good in all of it if you look hard enough. Although, honestly,  sometimes I can't see it, and I have to ask God for a little illumination.
         I'm grateful for breaks from the norm because I can easily get out of balance. Where are you on the spectrum today? Are you leaning to one extreme? I challenge you to take a break if you need it. The world will still be there when you get back. The death of your stupid smart phone could be just what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment