Monday, April 8, 2013

The Great Wide Open

        Yesterday was a really wonderful day outdoors. Everyone was outside. The TV sat idle...no one even thought of turning it on with all the adventure that lay waiting outside.
        My oldest two girls found two geese eggs by the pond, while the younger two discovered a "wooly worm" (that's what we always call the furry caterpillars that turn into Isabella moths).  My hubby tilled up the ground for our garden, and we enjoyed planting lettuce, spinach, and snow peas. I showed them how to lay the earth back in the garden, and push the snow pea seeds a little deeper in the earth. We talked about roots and soil depth. I loved watching the girls wiggle their toes through the freshly tilled soil. That was always one of my favorite parts of gardening as a child. My five year old dug a huge hole in the middle of the garden, all the while scooting around in the earth. At one point, she stood up and realized that lots of dirt had gone down her pants and was only slightly put off by it. By the end of the day, their toenails were dark brown and gritty; and there were enormous grins on their faces.
         I watched the two little ones fish with their daddy in the pond, while my second oldest caught three huge bullfrogs, at least two turtles, and one snake. Later when I saw her with her net from catching frogs completely covering her face and head, I admit that I gagged a little.
         Puddles and Paddles (our two mallard ducks) had a fun romp in the yard while their "mama" ducks (my two oldest) quacked and flapped their arms getting them to waddle along behind them. At the beginning of the weekend they had them on leashes, but discovered they wouldn't wander too far and would still follow them when they quacked for the ducks.
       I showed our three year old how to pump on the swing, and I cracked up watching her close her eyes and toss her head back while trying to pump. My hubby grilled burgers while watching some of our revelry. He said that he loved seeing all of us playing around...even me. We ended the night with s'mores made around a campfire. My hubby then showed the older girls how to hunt for nightcrawlers when the sun went down.
         As much as we enjoyed our day and spending time in God's nature, I wondered if God equally enjoyed watching us (just like my hubby had). I kind of think He was smiling down on us from heaven, as if to say, "I'm glad you like it. I made it just for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment