Friday, May 24, 2013

Boot Scootin Boogie

          I have never gone country line dancing before; but when I saw an invite for all her "central Illinois friends" pop up on Jill Savage's facebook page, I thought, "Why not?" After all, I have the boots for it.
          Then it dawned on me, my other four kids do great with a sitter; however, I'd still have my three month old to take along. He is a very good baby, but I wasn't sure about how well I/he would be received at a "Mom's Night Out". Being minus four children is definitely still a mom's night out for me. I asked the coordinator if he could come in a sling. The reply that came was from a mom who would be unable to attend, but stated "I'm just gonna say that personally if I'm having a mom's night out, I don't want anyone else's children there either." That was what I had been worried about, and that night I felt let-down because I had really wanted to go. The next morning, bright and early, there was another comment by Jill Savage herself which said," I think it would be fine!" One of the reasons I love this woman is because she is just so unassuming and welcoming. Then the event coordinator also replied. She went on to comment about how she went country line dancing at 8 months pregnant...she even went bowling for a mom's night out with a baby in a Moby wrap. She echoed the sentiment that Jill had said that I was most definitely invited.
               There is something priceless about a good woman who is willing to extend her hand in friendship. It is good for the soul and definitely a pick-me-up when you are feeling blue. I almost missed the event due to house hunting, but our plans changed (partly inspired by my desire to go...and my hubby's enthusiastic encouragement that I SHOULD go). By the time the evening arrived, I was a little on edge. It was a rough day. Supper consisted of pancakes that weren't even finished by the time the sitter arrived. The last thing I felt like doing was meeting a bunch of new faces to try something I'd never done before. I cringe a little even now as I add the tag of depression to this post, but that is honestly what I've been battling this week. (I cringe only because I wish I could write to you as an expert on the subject...not someone who is still learning how/what to do with her feelings). My three year old threw a super fit when I left, which made me 15 minutes late by the time I left. My GPS led me to an industrial park (and the wrong side of the road). I almost gave up, but I knew I'd regret it if I didn't look a little more for the place.
            I did finally find it. Lessons started at 7pm, and I showed up after 7:30pm...everyone welcomed me warmly. No one cared that I had a baby in tow; and before you know it, I was line dancing. I'd like to say I'm a natural, but I was off more than a couple of times. No one seemed to notice. When I went in, I was greeted with a hug and friendly smiles from all the moms in the group. Jill even mentioned she'd been keeping an eye out for me. When I shared my struggle with even feeling like coming, they all nodded their heads like they'd been there. I felt at ease with them, and I was pleased to sit and chat with a couple of moms while the instructor showed some more challenging dances.
              Nothing makes me feel more like myself (plus gives me a little perspective) like getting out of our house. When I feel blue, I just want to hide. Just the opposite is what helps lift me up.
           I'm so glad I went. I gained more than the knowledge of how to dance to "Cotton-Eyed Joe". I had a night away from my cares with women who cared enough to make me feel welcome, and that alone is enough to make me want to dance in my boots.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You're in one of the pictures I took but it's a little blurry! I'd be happy to email it to you. I, too, needed that night out. Kelly

      Delete
    3. That'd be great, Kelly! I wish now I'd have taken a picture. :)

      Delete