Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Where The Rubber Meets The Road

            We have just under a month till our generous package from my hubby's job stops paying for his temporary housing. August 20th is last day of our three month window. It feels like a deadline that is quickly looming. We are trying to find some reasonable options for housing in Kansas, and currently we are looking at homes that are less expensive.  This is where the rubber meets the road.
             I looked up what this phrase meant, and all I could find was general definitions about going into action. That does describe where we are; but when I would hear my parents use this phrase, there was always a sense of discomfort with that action...like they were taking into account the friction that went with that wheel making some movement. That is an even better description of where we are.  This past week has been a challenge to my faith.
              Our first week with our house on the market was disappointing.  We had zero showings, so my hubby and I began the search for different homes in a new price range. This past Sunday, however,  we had an open house with fourteen groups of people showing up. We've had two showings since then, so all hope is not lost. The sermon on Sunday was all about God being near, and it hit home to me in many ways. He spoke on Psalm 23 and his own personal valley he was currently walking through. The pastor asked if we have ever felt like God is distant. My answer would be, "Yes!" I am at a loss right now to understand exactly what God is doing. I feel like we are poised at a start line with our engine revving,  just waiting for the flag to drop,  waiting for our rubber to meet the road. There is no flag in site though. Every home option we look at is another challenge in patience. Half the houses we found last week are no longer on the market.  My hubby did look at a home on Monday, but there is paperwork concerning easements that we are waiting on now before we will make an offer.
          I know timing is everything, and there is a reason for all this taking the time that it is. I long for clarity on what we are supposed to do though. This morning in "Jesus Calling" it talked about thankfulness. It said, " When thankfulness flows freely from your heart and lips, let your gratitude draw you closer to Me. I want you to learn the art of giving thanks in all circumstances. See how many times you can thank me daily; this will awaken your awareness to a multitude of blessings.  It will also cushion the impacts of trials when they come at you."
         So here is list of some of the things that I'm thankful about right now. Our chickens have begun laying eggs, and the girls have eagerly gone out multiple times a day to search for their treasure. Yesterday,  we watched as Caramel laid an egg in the box my hubby had put together as a shelter for the cats in the winter. It was pretty amazing to see the intent look on her face and the ruffle of her feathers...and then to see her completely distracted by the ear of corn in front of her two seconds later, while we snuck her treasure out from underneath her.
       Also, because we haven't moved yet, we are able to travel only a little over an hour to spend time with my hubby's family from all over the country this weekend.  Had we moved to Kansas, we'd have had a seven hour drive plus the challenge of finding someone to watch our animals. My second eldest also has the chance to celebrate one more birthday here. Our current neighbor is letting us use his pool for the celebration this coming Monday too.
            This Friday marks the sixteen year anniversary of the day my hubby and I said I do. I'm even more aware of all the things he adds to our relationship because we can't spend as much time together right now. When he is home, it's more fun to let my plans fly out the window (like this past Friday when we took a impromptu trip to a livestock auction as a family). I'm thankful to him for bringing color and adventure to my life. Without him, my life would be terribly boring. He is way more fun than anyone else I know.
             Just stopping to pause and think about the good things I'm grateful for has calmed my revving engine and made me smile. You can be sure that I will let you know the moment that flag drops and it's time to burn rubber. Till then, I'll be counting my blessings.

What about you? What are you grateful for?
            

No comments:

Post a Comment