Thursday, January 23, 2014

Life in a Cozy House

          One of my goals this year is to find a "home" for all of our things. We've moved two years in a row plus had a baby, so I haven't been nearly as organized (or as clean--thus my dust bunnies post) as I would like. One of the greatest challenges of this goal is that we have downsized from our last house. I consider this a "cozy" house (my hubby, Charles, always laughs when I say that). How cozy is it? Our home is approximately 1200 square feet. Although it is smaller than our last home, we have wonderful closets with built-in organizers (plus a two car garage along with a single stall detached garage) for storing things. I was a huge fan of Tetris growing up, so this just means taking a little time to figure out what fits where. Inevitably,  some things may not make the cut and get donated; but our house is more than enough. Although it has three bedrooms (by realtor standards), all our other homes had three bedrooms as well. This house has a completely finished basement with rooms that may not have closets in them, but still fit my bill as a "bedroom"since they have two entrances (it is a walk-out basement). Usable bedroom space is better here than our last two homes. Plus with 27 acres, we can always add on when and if we choose.
           Our kitchen is nice and large, but it doesn't have a spice rack built into the cupboards like our last house. When we moved in, I organized our spices in a drawer instead of the cupboard; and I love it! I was inspired when I saw a neighbor storing her spices in a drawer (and she lives in gigantic three story home). I'm a vertically challenged person (5' 2.5"), so I was forever grabbing a stool to reach the spices behind the first row. It was so hard seeing what was in the back that it consumed a lot of my time keeping it organized (and occasionally I accidentally bought a second spice when one was tucked back too far). You might enjoy trying this as well.
          I could organize room by room (which might make the most sense), but large projects overwhelm me. I still have more than a dozen skeins of yarn from a blanket project I started ten years ago.  Ahem! I've decided to tackle what bothers me most. This past weekend, Charles helped me reorganize our bedroom,  and every time I walk in I can't help but smile. Gratification!  Now, if I could just hide all that yarn that sneers at me every time I see it--maybe it needs to make friends with my dust bunnies.
            Whether you live in a mansion or a cottage, are you enjoying where you live? If not, I challenge you to look at the key for contentment: "for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of contentment in every situation, whether it be a full stomach or hunger, plenty or want"... (Phil 4:11b-12)
          I recently read a post on one of my favorite blogs (Colorful Musings) about organizing meals that totally inspired me to rethink my meals. Do you live in a "cozy" home? What tip can you give me to inspire me? I learn so much from you and appreciate your input!

No comments:

Post a Comment