Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Tumor, Poison Ivy, and Strep Throat-Oh My!

     I am convinced that once you know the truth about Jesus and the way to heaven, that Satan's primary goal is to try to steal your joy and make you discontented.
     This past week we've faced several challenges. Harley, our dog, was diagnosed with a histiocytoma. After doing testing, we were relieved to find out it is benign and should go away in 7-8 weeks. The tumor seemed to show up in just a matter of hours on his lip; and for the first couple of days, I was convinced that he'd merely been nosy and either gotten stung or pricked by a thorn. However when we took in our kittens for their shots,  the vet took one look at the picture and video on my phone and suggested we bring him in. Nothing life-threatening...just an annoyance and one more bill to pay.
     I somehow got poison ivy on my arm, and now new patches of itchiness are showing up on my body elsewhere.  It began showing up the same day that we found out we'd have to bring Harley in to be tested. Again, clearly not life-threatening...but very annoying!
      On the same day we took Harley in for testing, I took my oldest child in for a throat culture, and she tested positive for strep throat...and two more members had symptoms by the next day. Half of our family is now being treated with antibiotics. Thank God that it is readily treatable, and thanks to our five rounds with strep two years ago, I'm rather adept at the cleaning regiment required ( change toothbrushes, clean all door knobs, light switches, and phones...and replace the hand towels with paper towels, etc., etc.) Again annoying, but not even close to life-threatening. I have to tell you that there was a personal moment of panic within me when I found out she was positive. Last year we had zero visits to the doctor for illness; but the previous year, it felt like we were there weekly if not bi-weekly. My oldest missed 10 days of school all due to strep throat. She already had her tonsils removed two years prior to our year of the "strep throat plague". I learned to have a lot more compassion for moms that struggle with their kids being sick. Our kids had been relatively healthy up until that year. I learned first hand how badly and responsible a mom feels. I kept asking myself, "Am I doing something wrong? Why does everyone keep getting sick?" Everyone was on antibiotics for two rounds,  and the oldest siblings had five rounds.
     Last week was also emotionally challenging as well as physically challenging. I can also almost guarantee that if you begin a book concerning improving your marriage,  Satan will try to tempt you beyond what you thought possible to fail at what your learning, and God will allow you a million opportunities to practice all that you've been reading. I started a book a couple of weeks ago, and it was no accident that I had a ton of challenges last week. It seemed like every topic we discussed were all ones that I had very strong opinions on. I am happy to say that by the end of the week we were able to communicate about a topic I felt passionate about without either of us yelling or getting out of control (which is a miracle for me); so despite the rough start, I felt that last week we grew as a couple in our communication and confrontation skills (which is something I definitely struggle with).
     Last week was hard,  but it brought to mind one of my favorite verses in the Bible. 2 Cor. 1: 3-5 says,"
What a wonderful God we have-He is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the source of every mercy, and the one who so wonderfully comforts and strengthens us in our hardships and trials. And why does He do this this? So that when others are troubled, needing our sympathy and encouragement,  we can pass on to them this same help and comfort God has given us." (The Living Bible translation)
     I hope and pray that your week is going smoothly; and if it's not, I pray that you may experience God's comfort because in time you can encourage someone else who is experiencing what you are struggling with.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Rachel, what a week you've had! Praying that this week is better for you all!!

    ReplyDelete