Monday, August 6, 2012

Home birth

     For those of you who know me, "adventure girl" is a bit ironic for my profile name. Actually "open to adventure" girl is probably a little closer to the truth. I have been known mostly as "safety girl" though. My hubby laughed when he found out that I made all the kids buckle up in their car seats when we delivered a meal in the rain to a next door neighbor that lived maybe a hundred feet away from us. That's just who I am. I'm not a big risk taker.
     You may be wondering what my next adventure will be...well, a home birth might just be it. Our new home has a lovely hot tub already installed in the master bathroom, so that could very well be the site for our next  birth. I don't know if my husband realizes it or not, but he was actually the inspiration behind this. As we sat in the hospital last time after our baby was born only to have person after person come through our door while we were "resting", he said, "Now I know why people have home births." It is the longing for peace and quiet that drives my desire for a home birth. That and the fact that I was only at the hospital for 26 minutes before we delivered our last child. I loved laboring at home.
     This past week when I visited with a home birth midwife, it was confirmed in my heart that this is really what I want. This weekend  we filled out the paperwork. I'm so thankful that when I talked to my husband about it, he didn't even flinch when I mentioned the price. He just said, "If this is what you really want, let's do this." Can you say supportive?
     For those of you out there who are  little concerned, let me say that the hospital is only 13 minutes away. Also home birth midwives come equipped with oxygen,  medication, and even IV fluids for emergencies. For a low risk pregnancy, it's not even that big of a deal. Maybe I am still trying to claim my title of "safety girl", but honestly, this is a little out of my comfort zone.    
     When I felt my little one kick me today for the first time, I knew I would love to have my children wake up this February only to find their newest siblings just a room away.

No comments:

Post a Comment