Monday, January 7, 2013

At The Twilight's Last Gleaming


               “Oh God, You can’t let it end like this!”  I remember uttering those words in shear desperation as a growing knot grew in my stomach.  It was supposed to a wonderful fun family event…a free outdoor concert for Mandissa.  Two years ago, I experienced one of my lowest points as a mother.  I’d lost my two year old daughter. The sun began to fall, and the volume of the concert rose with the opening song.  Tears streamed down my face, and fear coursed through my veins.  I’d been sitting with my little infant and friend while our older children played together.  My two year old had asked to join her sisters, and I agreed.  I sat down for a moment to adjust my shirt; and when I got back up to check on them, I couldn’t see her.  At first, I thought my view was merely obscured by another child.  However, when the child moved, I still couldn’t see my two year old.  I calmly walked over, determined not to panic.  As I got closer, I still couldn’t see her.  I asked my older two if they knew where their sister was, but they were clueless.   I sent them back to the blanket with my friend.  I thought I heard a voice crying out “Mamma!” from the woods that lined the back of the clearing for the concert, so I ran toward the sound I’d heard and cried out her name every few feet wondering if she was lost in the woods.  Panic began to set in, and I had this dying realization that this event could forever change my life.  I cried out to God as I ran trying desperately to find her.  Still the fear remained that I would never see my daughter again.  I ran back to my friend where the rest of my children sat waiting, and she told me that her husband had recognized my two year old in the arms of a police officer when he was helping his youngest use the bathroom.  My daughter had made it all the way to the opposite side of the clearing.  I began to sob in relief as I took her from the officer’s arms, but she just looked at me with no emotion oblivious to what had just happened.  I wasn’t instantly relieved because all I could think in that moment was what a lousy, incompetent mother I was.  Instead of feeling grateful, I felt the weight of what I guessed everyone was thinking about me: “What was she thinking bringing four children to an outdoor concert?”   After this story, I imagine you can see I’m clearly qualified in the area of not being a perfect mom.
                This was not my shining moment as a mom, but God saved me from disaster. It felt like divine intervention for a police officer to find my little girl, and for my friend’s husband (that I barely knew) to recognize her.  The scariest part of my story was the fear of not knowing how God would answer my prayer.  Honestly, it still is the scariest part of prayer for me.  I have an easy time believing that God exists, but I don’t know whether or not He will answer my prayer the way I want it answered or not.  Watching my dad die from cancer quickly awakened me to the fact that God doesn’t answer every prayer the way you hope.  Our church is beginning its annual corporate fast that will last for the next three weeks.  We always pick a few requests to seek God’s answer during this time.  Our pastor talked about the need for faith to experience the breakthrough we need in our lives.  He used Hebrews 11:6 which says, “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.”  Again, the first part of this is easy for me…but the second half is a little intimidating.  I have several requests for God for the next few weeks; and although I’ve seen Him work in amazing ways in the past few years, I know sometimes it can take years to see the answer to a prayer.  This means continuing to believe and persist even if it doesn’t happen immediately.  I am choosing to believe that He has amazing answers planned for this coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment