Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Basking In The Sunny Spot

     Have you ever noticed how animals love to find a spot where the sun is shining and lay down in it?  Our dog does this all the time, but I've also caught our cats basking outdoors as well.  One of the rooms in our new home has tons of windows; and over the past holiday weekend, I've taken advantage of laying on the couch when the sun is shining on it to take a little nap.  It's warm and cozy, and I usually wake up once the sun moves off of my face. 
     Since this is the beginning of a new year, I've been thinking a lot today about all the really great things that have happened this year.  I would've never guessed a year ago that we would be living on the road I'd been praying to live on for the past 3 years, or that we'd be in a larger more comfortable home than before with lots of outdoor space and several homeschooling neighbors.  I would have never guessed that I would be expecting a baby...and of all things (after having four girls), a baby boy.  I would have never guessed at the beginning of last year that I would be writing about our journey, and people would actually enjoy reading about it.  When my hubby encouraged me to take up Jill Savage's Facebook invitation to her 4,000+ friends to come to her home this summer celebrating the completion of her new book (that I've now gotten to preview), I had no idea how fun it would be.  She also had tiny kittens at her house when I visited, and said she was looking for a home for them.  Several weeks later when we moved into our new home, she gave us three kittens; it was my girl's birthday wish come true.  When I began to hear all the stories of outdoor cats not doing so well in our area from our neighbors, I would've never guessed that our cats would not only do well but thrive on our property.  They are seriously the friendliest outdoor cats I've ever been around. Our dog has made peace with the fact that he is not our only pet (though occasionally I think I see him sneering at the cats that he gets to live indoors and they have to stay outside). When the cats are parading around with a fresh mouse in their mouth, I think that are laughing back at him.  The cats and the dog occasionally charge at each other in a friendly way; but I'm no longer paranoid that Harley, the dog, will attack the cats.  I feel so thankful for the new friends that I've made in 2012, some of them truly kindred spirits...you know who you are!  I also feel thankful for the wonderful friends that I've reconnected with that were so important in my life during the time I grew up.  I'm also super excited to say that I'm typing this from a computer...this is my second post (since July) that I've written using a keyboard instead of my thumbs.  Thanks, honey! Today, we ate a cherry cheesecake that was the same recipe I made for my husband before he was even my boyfriend...it was the beginning of our whole romance 19 years ago (he is the reason I learned to cook, much to my mother's delight who was convinced I would never want to learn). It was another reminder of to me of the good things that God has brought into my life.  You are a great gift to me, sweet Hubby!
     We've had our challenges this year...remember not knowing where we would live for so long despite having signed paperwork for selling our old house, or the bout with ticks and fleas; and of course, I can't forget the loss of my sweet Giselle.
     For right now though, I just want to bask in the sunny spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment