Monday, June 18, 2012

Remembering Miracles

          There is a reason that the miraculous deliverance of the Israelites happened before the years of wandering in the wilderness.  I believe it was so they would have something to look back on and reflect upon.  I'm sure many times they were wondered if they would ever make it to the promised land.  Thinking back on all the miracles God had performed, I'm sure, encouraged them.  Tonight I'm feeling tempted to be a little whiny, so I think it is time to look back at what God has done.  Every year our church does a three week corporate fast.  Last year, I selected three seemingly impossible prayer requests...and every last one was answered beyond my wildest dreams.  My friends mother had been diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer, and given 6 months to live.  Within six months, she was not only still alive, but in complete remission.  Another friend had a daughter with a critical surgery coming up for a birth defect that was not only rare, but life threatening.  That surgery was successful, and her daughter came home from the hospital sooner than had even been hoped.  My husband had been waiting for a breakthrough in his job.  He had been waiting for an open door to leave the major corporation that he had worked for to have a job he truly enjoyed.  He left when a door presented itself in March and ended up consulting for a different company that later offered him the position he'd been hoping for.  This prayer request took the longest to answer, but our answer did come.  I felt like I'd sort of hit a spiritual jackpot.  I've never had prayer request this big all answered like this.  For the record, I believe my part in this was merely to make the request.  Our pastor recently shared a story of his kids using the universal sign to ask truckers to honk, and when they did honk, the kids said, "Look what we did!"  He related that our prayers are similar to them asking the truck driver to honk.  We don't really do anything, but ask.  God is the one with the power, and He chose to answer these three prayers of mine.  I wrote to our pastor with the good report of having all three prayers answered, and he asked why I thought that this had happened.  I really didn't have a good answer at the time, but I think I'm beginning to understand a little more.
          I think it was to remind me of how powerful God really is...that even if I can't see Him at work right now, that He is there with the same power that He had a year ago.  I think it is so that on nights like tonight when I feel discouraged that I can remember what He has done, and be reminded that He can answer my prayers all over again. It is a reminder to trust Him period.  
         We close five weeks from today, and we still don't know where we are going.  Michigan is now a possibility, too.
          My favorite Beth Moore quote that I recently read is ,"If you dare to believe and don't get your miracle, God has a bigger one planned.  Stay tuned."  So readers, I certainly don't know what is ahead, but I know who does.  I'm leaving it in His hands...I'd love to see another miracle come our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment