Friday, February 8, 2013

The Longest Night

        Today our son was circumcised.  He took it well considering what was being done. The doctor even commented on how little crying he did. It is now 11:40 at night,and I assure you that he is not taking it well anymore. He's had his tyelenol, but that's not cutting it. He has nursed non-stop except for burping and diaper changes since 6:00 tonight.
       Apparently, it feels better to pee in the air than the diaper, and the procedure has greatly increased his range. He was peeing on his umbilical cord but tonight he got his face, ear, hair (and almost my pillow). We're on outfit number 4 and our second set of sheets. Every time I think he is soundly asleep and lay him down, he starts screaming after about 30 seconds of calm sleeping. Of course, I can't blame him. Watching the procedure was enough to almost make me pass out, but I don't ever want my child to go through something painful alone. I may not be able to do anything to ease the pain; but I, at the very least, will not let them feel that they've been abandoned.
       That's really what tonight is all about.  All the snuggling and holding may not take away the pain, but at least it can comfort him. Eight days ago, I also went through a good deal of pain, and one of the things that made it bearable was hearing my hubby cheer me on. He kept telling me how awesome I was doing, and how it'd be all over very soon. Right now, I'm cheering my son on and holding him as long as he needs me too...even if it's all night. It may feel like the longest night, but the truth is that the night can only last so long. "Weeping may endure for the night, but joy comes in the morning." (Ps. 30:5)

2 comments:

  1. Ooohh, I can relate!! My husband was with our son when he got circumcised...when I did the first diaper change, I started freaking out and said, "The doctor mutilated him!!!! What did she do?!???" My hubby assured me everything was fine, and our son can't remember a thing about that day...

    I also laughed about your son's range of peeing....I was totally unprepared for the fresh air pee factor! One day I looked away during a diaper change, and looked back only to see my son peeing a perfect arc...right into his mouth! He could pee into his hair, our faces....that fresh burst of air did it all the time for the first few months....I learned how to change a diaper lightning fast, since the peepee teepee didn't seem to work well for us. By the time I got the teepee situated perfectly, the damage was done. Hang in there! This is only the first of many adventures into boyhood!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks for sharing!! I can only imagine him peeing in his mouth! We are permanently doing diaper changes in the bathroom now...clean-up is so much easier.:) After his nursing marathon, he slept for 6.5 hours straight; and I was only woken twice by the two year old who had "scarwee dweams".:)

      Delete