Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Pressure Cooker

        "Are you sure you want to homeschool this year when you're having a new baby?" We share a driveway and garage with a very near neighbor despite the fact that we live in the country on 10 acres; so before we signed anything, we went over to meet them to get a feel for how we all got along. They have been great neighbors, and I'll never forget the true concern in her voice when we talked about homeschooling. I think many people think it must be a nuisance to take on teaching our kids along with everything else a stay at home mom does, but I have found them to compliment each other nicely. Granted I spend several hours a day reading, teaching, and grading homework...but the perks are overwhelmingly in my favor.
        I've had a new little one while trying to get everyone out the door in time for the school. It doesn't matter if the baby (or I) just finally fell asleep after a rough night. I am forced to get everyone up. I've seen the tears from my daughter over how much she misses the baby, whereas now they can hold him while I read to them. I felt the stress of trying to keep enough uniforms clean or their reading log up to date. Yes, I had down time during the day;  but listening to a newborn scream on the way to pick up a sibling, left me more frazzled than I was before my "down time". Some of you may be wondering why I didn't just use the bus.
We didn't live in a neighborhood that I could use the bus without paying...and even then, I wouldn't necessarily relish the words a unsupervised 4th grader might be saying in front of my kindergartener.
        It has been great to spend time as a family for the past two weeks that we've taken off for our newest arrival. I love spending time eating a hot breakfast instead of spending time dropping off the girls. I love watching the girls get to know their brother. I don't know how long we will homeschool. I don't even know if we will next year, but I know that I'm so thankful to be able to this year! It takes me out of the pressure cooker of traditional school (even though there's still a little heat from the oven of our own goals for the girls).

No comments:

Post a Comment