Thursday, June 6, 2013

Bird-brained

            We went house hunting this past weekend. We found several possible homes, and we are currently in negotiations over one of our favorites. The house is nice, big, in a good location (school-wise), and it does have a pond and outbuilding. The thing that is hard is that we haven't found a home that is "better" than our current one. There is a temptation for me to complain about the things our current house has that we are unable to find anywhere else. That's really not fair. You can't justly compare apples to bananas...they're both fruit, but wonderfully different.
          My hubby used to say that gratitude is the healthiest of all emotions, which used to irritate me to no end...he'd always say it when I felt like a sourpuss and needed to be reminded to be grateful. He's right! Recently, my eldest daughter went to spend a week with the Grandmas, so I helped out with the chickens. The chickens crack me up because they totally live in the moment. It doesn't matter if there is a huge pile of chicken feed right in front of them. They will still walk over to eat the same food from your hand if they see you crouching down a foot away. I think they're thinking it's somehow better. (Our rooster pecks our hands instead of the food, I believe, to try to get us to drop the whole handful.) After a couple of bites, it's as if they've completely forgotten about the other pile. They are just blissfully enjoying the food and the fact that they got to it before the other hens spotted it. They also insist on digging through the kitty litter box in the barn...as if somehow this time they will find anything other than cat poop. Either they're stupid/simple-minded or really optimistic.
           I know "bird-brained" is not usually a compliment; but in the regard of living in the moment, I think I'd like to be a little bird-brained. I want to enjoy today at our current home, and enjoy the next home regardless of how it compares. I want to say "thank you" to God for all the good things that happened today...for putting together a puzzle with my three year old, for tasting the best scones ever (homemade by a friend of mine), for hearing a tree frog's sweet noise (that doesn't sound at all like ribbit), for finding out that a baby bird had not drowned in the pond when it's nest fell in (It flew!), for spending time with a neice and hearing all about her woes and (eventual) triumph in math this past school year, for realizing that today is the one year anniversary of this blog.
           This chick is looking for the next delicious adventure to devour, and thankful for the past year of blessings that I've gotten to recount. Thanks for sharing the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment