Friday, June 14, 2013

Quack This Way

           We got a pair of mallard ducks at the same time that we got chickens,  and I honestly think my two oldest loved them more than any other animal we have. They spent hours holding them, letting them preen their fuzzy jackets, and cleaning out the water that they swam in (In case you aren't aware of it, ducks poop a LOT!). They even took them for walks around the yard while they waited for their feathers to come in fully.  At first, they used leashes. Eventually,  they realized that all they had to do was quack and walk in front of them...and the ducks would follow them anywhere.
          This week we have been in a holding pattern as we are using a little strategy suggested by our realtor on one house and finishing up inspections on our current house. While we wait, I've been trying to focus the girls on how wonderful it will be to all be together again. They miss being with Daddy, and it is easy for them to get in a negative mindset ("Why does he have to go to work?") vs. a positive mindset ("I can't wait to see him again in a few days"). I feel a bit like the mama duck  because they mirror a lot of what I say. When I express delight over the house we will have, they smile and talk happily about it too. He drove home last weekend, and he is again driving home today.  I'm excited to see him...and the girls are too! Today, we went shopping for his Father's Day present; and the three year old can barely contain her excitement...she already blurted out on the phone what she got him.
           This past week we had the opportunity to go to my mom's house and pick strawberries (and make fresh jam). Sometimes, I get grumpy while I pack up for a trip; but this time I was intentional about the words I said. Instead of focusing on the work of getting things ready, I focused on how nice it would be to see my mom again. I know this could be one of the last times I am there for berry picking, and so I chose to speak positively about it. Guess what? They followed suit and thoroughly enjoyed themselves.  When they were tired and hot from picking berries,  they threw on their swimsuits and sprayed each other with the hose when I suggested it (I had to include a picture of all the berries).
            As the ducks have gotten older and have been released to swim on our pond, they have become more and more wild. They no longer come into our barn at night to sleep, although they still allow one of my daughters to pick them up and hang out by them. They are increasingly dependant on each other and squawk loudly if one has flown off and left them behind.  Initially,  my daughter had decided to catch one when we move in an effort to force the other to be caught as well, but they are beginning to resist even that (she has tried catching one at night, but the other now flies away squawking, not allowing itself to be caught). They are no longer so attached to our home or my girls, but are more attached to each other.
          That is the lesson I am trying to focus on this week...not focusing on our attachment to our current home, but our attachment to each other. Try it and you may be suprised how quickly your ducks follow you when you "quack" and lead the way.

1 comment:

  1. Attitude can help or hurt any situation. And I'm still struggling on this aspect of life. I hope I get better at it before EG gets older and really starts imitating me!

    ReplyDelete