Saturday, June 29, 2013

Potty Princesses and Carmel Sundaes

            Our three year has shown interest in potty training off and for the past six months, but it wasn't until a few weeks ago that she accomplished the amazing feat of her first number two in the potty.  She was promptly rewarded gratuitosly with a gormet sucker. I hate using food as a reward...but I needed something I had easy access to for immediate gratification.  The next day she again repeated her trick, and we quickly upped the ante to a helium filled balloon (from the dollar store). When my kids figure out number two in the potty, I start really getting excited. I know that complete potty training is right around the corner. Yesterday was a first...her first day in panties. Guess what? So far she has initiated going potty whenever she has needed, and has had zero accidents. She is currently earning Chuck E. Cheese tokens for a visit. I have wistfully wondered if she would EVER potty train. It seems like she is the last one in her class who still has a diaper left at the counter during her class. Everyone else is potty-training.  I had always been told that you should wait till they were ready, but at three years and three months old, I thought it'd never happen. My other three were trained long before they turned three. I haven't changed her poopy pants for more than two weeks, and I'm excited to have one less box of diapers to buy.
          Yesterday was another first, Carmel (my hubby's hen) decided to go rogue when I rounded up the chickens to put in the cage at night. She snuck into the tall grass by our fenceline flanked by two poison ivy plants. As I carefully tried to grab her, I felt a burning sensation on my arm akin to the feeling you have when your foot falls asleep. It was my first experience with stinging nettles. Yes, I know chickens will naturally go into their area to roost for the night around dusk, but I was planning on going to a bridal shower and needed to hurry things along. My daughter who handles evening chores had a chance to visit her Nana, and I couldn't say no. The stinging sensation was so annoying that I was tempted to take my revenge by getting out the crock pot and making a Carmel sundae on a bed of fresh rice. I think the girls days of me doing chores for them are numbered.  I can feel a big ol' fat boundary coming.
           We are still figuring out our septic issue. The second opinion could serve to save us a good chunk of change, but only if our buyers accept it. Thanks for your continued prayers. I trust that God is still in control,  and that some good will come of this for us (Rom. 8:28). Until then, I will continue to celebrate that our little girl is growing up, and that my workload has just gotten lighter. The potty princess no longer hollars for me to change her...we've graduated to hollaring for help with wiping.

No comments:

Post a Comment